Monday, October 12, 2009

The Light House Inn

When working at the Electric Boat Company in Groton Conn, I stayed where the other GE Men were staying at the Light House Inn, in New London, Conn. This is across the Thames river from Groton. Since I got there after the others had been working there, and I was only helping them, I was given a small room on the third floor. Which was actually the attic. However, my room was next to Harry Rodvogin's studio. His room was actually attic, unfinished. But it was his living quarters, and artist's studio.

Harry Rodvogen was an artist that had lived in New York City, and was living in Hartford, Conn. when the owners of the Light House Inn, the Ronnick brothers, who knew him, invited him to come live at the Inn and take care of the paintings on display, and for sale there. The paintings were by area artists and were hung in the bar, dining room, and rooms on the second floor.

Harry was in his mid 50's. He was an excellent portrait artist. But he also painted abstract art, which was realistic, but a juxtoposition of realism and fantsy. For example he painted a self portrait of his reflection in a shattered mirror. He also painted beautiful paintings of nude women, but usually as part of an abstract painting. For example in a painting he had a beautiful woman's face, but her cheek was opened up to show a seascape with a sailboat.

One time when I came back there, he showed me his latest painting, it was a copy of the "Mona Lisa." As I was admiring it, I said "Harry, it is beautiful, but something isn't right." He pointed out that her breasts were nude. It never had dawned on me. He always painted nudes.

A year when I was in Paris, at the Louve, and standing in front of the "Mona Lisa" I was the only one laughing to myself. And I bought a post card of it and sent it to Harry, Saying "Harry. They have your painting over here in an old building called "The Louve," but somebody has painted clothes on her."

2 comments:

  1. In the late '80s - early '90s, an artist in the Seacoast area from Kittery was driving an older car that he had embellished inside and out with

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Aunt was a friend of Harry Rodvogen and took me to meet him as a 7 year old child. He took photographs of us together and of me alone. He did a beautiful sketch portrait of me which hangs in my home. He was a talented artist. Wish I could have
    met him when I was older. I really enjoyed finding your piece about him on line. Thanks.Helene Wienclawski

    ReplyDelete