Sunday, August 23, 2009

Cold milk

Now this is not all I have to tell about my time in Palermo, but completing work on the turbo-generator, it was time to go back home. So I flew to Rome to start the journey back home.

At the Rome airport while waiting for the next flight to Paris, I had lunch at the airport. Ordering my lunch from a waiter who spoke very good English, I included a glass of cold milk. I heard him call the order to the cooks. including " A glass of cold milk." As I was eating I discovered I had gotten a glass of "calda"
milk. Calda in Italian is warm. Some times you just have to accept the misunderstandings between languages.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you specified "cold" milk when ordering rather than just a glass of milk. For the locals, at what temperature would it have been served?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are actually "lucky" you got a glass of milk at all :) -- many European adults NEVER drink milk. When I was pregnant in Germany, I had to buy my own milk and stash it in the gasthaus where I was staying -- they didn't keep enough milk on hand for "drinking" and cooking!

    ReplyDelete